A look back into our official document archives reveals that the Des Moines “I Have a Dream” Foundation received its 501c3 designation letter on March 9, 1990. So we’re counting today as our 22nd birthday!
What’s on our birthday list? Consider gifting IHAD with a $22 “Happy Birthday!” donation. It’s easy to give via our online donation form. Or, have some fun with it through the Community Foundation Giving Cards. Buy one for yourself or for a friend. It works like a gift card for charitable contributions and it’s tax-deductible!
Your donation will help us fully fund the 2018 King Dreamer Project. These Dreamers are now in the 6th grade at Callanan Middle School in Des Moines.
Here’s to many more years of working to make the dream of a college education possible. Thanks for helping us celebrate!
1990 was also the year:
- Nelson Mandela was released from Prison in South Africa
- The Simpsons debuted on FOX
- The skeleton of T.Rex “Sue” is found in South Dakota
- East and West Germany reunite
- The Space Shuttle Discovery places the Hubble Space Telescope in orbit
- The first McDonalds was opened in Moscow USSR
- Dances with Wolves won the Oscar for best picture
- The Grammy for Best New Artist, which was awarded to Milli Vanilli, was revoked